Medical Laboratory Technologist/Technician
Perform routine medical laboratory tests for the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease. Medical Laboratory Technologist/Technician is responsible for the operation of the laboratory.
Essential duties, functions, and responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to, and other duties, functions, and responsibilities may be added:
· Perform technical laboratory functions including chemistry, hematology, urinalysis and immunology
· Report test results following hospital protocols, alerting providers and/or nurses about abnormal results
· Ensure quality control in collecting specimens, ensure appropriate sampling and maintain accurate record keeping
· Maintain laboratory equipment and supplies
· Set up, maintain, calibrate, clean, and test sterility of medical laboratory equipment
· Comply with all CLIA regulations
· Comply with all laboratory policies and OSHA regulations related to safety, cleanliness and infection control
· Serve as a back-up to the lab manager as needed
· Knowledge of medical laboratory principles, standards, applications, and tests
· Knowledge of medical laboratory safety, cleanliness and infection control policies and regulations
· Knowledge of medical laboratory equipment uses and maintenance
· Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly
· Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
· Proficient ability to use a computer and electronic medical record
· Maintain patient, team member and employer confidentiality, and comply with all HIPAA regulations
· Ability to meet patients and others needs while following office policies and procedures
· Ability to pay attention to the minute details of a project or task
· Ability to adapt easily to changing conditions and work responsibilities
· Work as part of a team and collaborate with co-workers
· Ability to complete assigned tasks under stressful situations
· Attend laboratory meetings and hospital wide meetings
· Performs other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Education:
Medical Laboratory Technician (MLT) is required to have an Associate Degree and Medical Laboratory Technologist (MT) is required to have a bachelor degree. Medical laboratory experience is preferred; You must also be MT, ASCP, CPT, or AMT certified.
This position may require frequent standing, walking, grasping, carrying, and speaking. It may also require occasional sitting, reaching, bending, and stooping. Lifting, carrying, pushing, and pulling up to 50 pounds, with assistance if needed may be required. Frequent use of computer, keyboard, copy machine, fax machine, and phone may be required. This position may require longer shifts, and may also require you to be on call after regular business hours. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job the employee may encounter a fast paced environment with occasional high pressure or emergent situations. While working in this position, you may have frequent exposure to bodily fluids, and possible exposure to infectious specimens, communicable diseases, toxic substances, ionizing radiation, medicinal preparations, and other conditions common to a laboratory and medical office environment. Frequent interaction with a diverse population including team members, providers, patients, insurance companies, and other members of the public can be expected in this position. In this position, you may be required to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, masks, gowns, goggles, and any other PPE deemed necessary.
Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the team member’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors, managers, directors, or officers as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the team member to perform, as Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 may deem appropriate.