Administrative Assistants handle routine and advanced duties for other professionals. They organize files, create correspondence, prepare reports and documents, and manage calendars to schedule appointments, sort mail, and offer general staff support. They may serve as an initial point of contact, answering phones and greeting visitors. They may engage in event planning and meeting setup and implementation. Often they will deal with people from a wide variety of levels, from patients to management. This administrative assistant position is unique in that it offers the opportunity for prompt advancement if expectations are met. This role requires a high degree of self-motivation, organization, professionalism, and expert knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations as they pertain to Rural Health Clinics (RHC). Expanded responsibilities will include managerial duties, community outreach, marketing, and the implementation of several new services and programs including an RHC, telemedicine, specialty clinic, and 340B program.
Essential duties, functions and responsibilities include the following, but are not limited to, and other duties, functions and responsibilities may be added:
· Serve as an assistant to the CEO and CFO
· Schedule appointments, reservations, and maintain calendars
· Schedule and coordinate staff and other meetings
· Assist in facilitation of meetings. Attend board, committee, and project meetings.
· Attend informational and educational webinars and make every effort to network and collaborate with peers in the healthcare sector and the community
· Organize and maintain files and databases in a confidential manner
· Collate and distribute mail
· Prepare communications, such as memos, emails, reports, agendas, board and committee meeting packets, and other correspondence with the highest standard of professionalism
· Write and edit documents from letters to reports and instructional documents
· Assist in maintaining policies and procedures
· Transcribe minutes from meetings and see that they are published appropriately and in a timely manner
· Create presentations as needed
· Prepare for meetings and follow up on actions and requests thereafter
· Assist administration in keeping employees and contractors informed through periodic meetings, one-on-one rounding, email memos, bulletin board postings, and other communication tools.
· Encourage and be receptive to both concerns and suggestions from employees, patients, and vendors.
· Maintain contracts and contract schedule
· Conduct research for business development, education, federal and state regulatory compliance, and more
· Anticipate the needs of others in order to ensure their seamless and positive experience
· Seek out marketing opportunities and assist in public relations and community outreach
· Seek out grant and funding opportunities and assist in preparation of applications
· Explore governmental programs when available
· Assist in business development and growth opportunities that align with the strategic plan.
· Proactively identify opportunities to expand revenue source and ancillary services
· Participate in and help lead initiatives to increase patient volumes; routinely assess patient volumes in coordination with administration and assist in developing strategies to capture greater volumes and determine any patient outmigration
· Direct the communication efforts between the facility and patients to proactively provide and encourage routine service appointments such as Medicare annual exams, wellness exams, physicals, and other preventative care visits, etc. that insurances routinely reimburses, through direction of mailings, phone call reminders, emails, and other individual patient communication methods as appropriate
· Assist in composing and maintaining the strategic plan, board bylaws, and personnel handbook
· Assist in maintaining readily accessible records for state survey (survey book)
· Serve as a role model for management team and involve employees, providers, and directors in areas for improvement and collaborate to foster change
· Assist in maintaining organizational chart
· Work diligently with CEO to establish a SCHD1’s new Rural Health Clinic (RHC); including but not limited to: preparation of filing necessary applications; researching, developing, and adhering to regulatory compliance; implementing policies & procedures; provider recruitment; ensure RHC operations align with support departments; contract with necessary vendors to fulfil operational needs; lead implementation of RHC HER; coordinate with SCHD1 lab for RHC waived lab status; etc.
· Collaborate with the quality coordinator to establish quality measures and benchmarks and to carry out quality initiatives specific to the RHC
· Assist HR in drafting job descriptions for RHC and ensure staff members have a clear understanding of their respective responsibilities and expectations for job performance
· Assist purchasing agent in acquisition of RHC supplies and equipment
· Coordinate with billing for proper credentialing of providers
· Lead implementation of telemedicine, specialty clinic, and 340B program
· Lead the development of the projected RHC budget projections and collaborate with CFO and auditor as needed
· Oversee and coordinate provider on-call schedule and ensure schedule is property distributed
· Oversee medical student rotations. This includes the execution of necessary agreements and paperwork, employee health compliance, and coordination of lodging
· Remain abreast of developments in healthcare to reduce cost, maintain a high degree of quality, and to best respond to the needs of a changing environment
· Present concerns in a positive and respectful manner through appropriate channels. Recognize and address problems with a high degree of professionalism and problem-solving skills
· Other duties as assigned by administration
Knowledge, Skills and Education:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· High school diploma or equivalent is required; Bachelor’s degree highly preferred
· Proficient computer skills
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· High degree of attention to detail
· High degree of professionalism
· High degree of customer service
· Strong organization skills
· Working knowledge of general office equipment
· Desire to be proactive and create a positive experience for others
· Ability to manage stress in a fast-paced environment
· Knowledge of CAH, RHC, and CMS regulations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand, walk, sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
This job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the team member holding this position. Staff is required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related responsibilities as requested by management.
Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the team member’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors, managers, directors, or officers as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the team member to perform, as Sumner County Hospital District No. 1 may deem appropriate.